sixpointbleed

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

the great gatsby + kipling transfer.
one of my class projects this semester is to redesign a book using only type. (the book cover will be the challenge). anyway, so i chose to redesign the great gatsby because the book rocks and so does anything deco or from the 1920s.

for reference, i borrowed mTp's copy of TGG.
it's an older copy (the original design). he picked it up earlier this semester from a second hand book store. it even has that old book smell and notes scrawled the margins. as i was thumbing through the pages i found this book mark:
it's a subway transfer that has "kipling" stamped on it. LOOK HOW OLD THAT IS! stuff like gets me excited for some reason. so i spent a good 20 or 30 minutes making up different scenarios in my head about someone reading this book on the TTC. wondering where he/she was going. whether or not they enjoyed the book as much as i did. what the TTC looked like. whether or not they went through lower-bay to get to kipling. then i snapped back to the here and now.

/dr.

9 Comments:

Blogger AZD said...

"LOOK HOW OLD THAT IS"

Hey, I remember those transfers from high school!

Oh, but I AM old.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FOR REAL!? that's so disappointing!

/dr.

6:57 PM  
Blogger ButterPeanut said...

ha! I love old stuff like that. And ya, I totally make up stories too.

My favorite thing is buying used books with old greetings written in them, and then make up stories about their previous owners.

8:28 PM  
Blogger sue said...

nice find! LOOK HOW OLD JEN IS.

heehee.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey have you ate some honey lately? Man that stuff's good... and to think that those little annoyin' stingin' bees make the sweet sweet honey. Now THATS crazy!

12:51 AM  
Blogger RTF said...

Dill,

I love when I find curious scraps used as bookmarks in old, used books.

My favorite is a ticket from a wrestling event in the 1970s that I found in a Flannery O'Connor book.

(I think it was O'Connor).

Oh, and thanks for your very helpful advice on my portfolio.

Peace,

T

11:18 AM  
Blogger /dr. said...

tom,

that's rad! and anytime buddy!

/dr.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Erich said...

d.

Old stuff is pretty right-on. 'Cept when it's an asbestos box...check out my weblog for an update...

8:39 PM  
Blogger 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 said...

1) How can we know how old it is? There's no year on the transfer. I wonder what would happen if you were to try to use it this year on Aug. 22.

2) The rider couldn't have gone through Lower Bay on a trip from Kipling. Lower Bay was used only in 1966, before Kipling Station opened.

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home